Friday, December 2, 2011

What is the best cut for an ice hockey skate?

I'm curious as to what are the benefits of various cuts on ice skates. I've been using the "house cut" at my local rink which is 1/2 inch. But I've heard of other hockey players using 3/8, 5/8, 7/16, etc. How do these cuts affect the way people skate?|||The hollow of the blade affects how much you hug your edges and how fast you go. The closer to 1" you get, the shallower the hollow becomes, and the faster you'll skate. The deeper the hollow, the sharper you turn. Some heavier set people prefer a deeper hollow because they find it gives them more stability. It's a personal preference. The only problem with getting a custom cut (aside from just remembering what you like) is that it's different from what the rink's specialty is, so they may or may not set it correctly every time (depending on who's doing your sharpening).|||3/8 if you want a little more bite, 7/16 if you want a little more speed. Most people at my rink use 7/16, but I use 3/8.





Start at 7/16 and adjust in 1/16 increments till you find something you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment