Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is it too late for me to start playing hockey?

I'm 18 years old. I'm a big hockey fan and I know all the rules to hockey. I'm a pretty good skater. I'm just looking for any advice anyone has for me ohow to get started playing.|||A good friend of mine started playing hockey around age 20, and has been active on a local team. Check out your local ice rinks to see if they have any lessons, and if they have any teams for beginner adults.|||try stopping by the closet ice rink to see if they have programs for your age grp.|||I'd say find out if there are any local leagues and go try out. Than that will be a good indication of your skills. It's harder than you think.|||It is never too late to start playing a great sport! The world needs more hockey players. Go down to your local rink and ask to speak to the coaches and/or trainers..even the other players. Good luck too!|||its neverrr too late. just get info on joining amature hockey leagues and work your way up. a lot of times hockey starts in like nov or dec, but sometimes places have summer hockey so you should really start checking it out soon.


you just really need to find out the details around where you live.|||you couldnt be to old. i no people who started playing in their 30s and are still playing. i say go for it!|||I didn't start playing hockey until I was around 20 or 21. I didn't learn to skate until 19. I'm now 30 and while I'm not the best skater, I still usually lead whatever team I'm on in scoring.





Find a local rink and join a house team. Or if you don't think you are ready to jump right out into a game, some rinks have weekly hockey clinics to learn the game. If you can already skate well, that's a huge part of starting to play hockey. I started playing hockey about a year or two after learning how to skate. And I didn't skate a lot in that time either.|||No. There are plenty of adults who start playing each year. I started playing when I was 15. I started out somewhat poorly, but I quickly got on track. I've had a ton of fun, and you shouldn't miss out. Since you already can skate, you are already ahead of the pack. Look around at your local rinks and see what programs they have (like summer classes/camps) for beginning players.





Since you already love hockey, it shouldn't be too hard to start. Go to your rink's shop or someplace with a good selection of gear. Get fully outfitted.


I'm guessing you already have some basics down, so here is something that would suit you well:


Find a local rink that offers stick-and-shoot sessions. These are pretty much open skating sessions, but they put out goals and pucks and you can practice shooting, passing, stickhandling, etc.


Since you haven't played before but you can skate and know what you're doing, this is a good way to get familiar with the stick and puck on ice. There is zero pressure, and you don't have to keep up with anyone.





Look around the web for tips. things like shifting your weight when shooting, and stuff like that.


http://www.hockeyplayertips.com is a good website by an amateur player...you can find good tips there (also http://hockeyplayertips.blogspot.com )


Also, you can find great off-ice drills here:


http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahoc鈥?/a>





Formalized instruction is good. There are some fundamentals that aren't readily apparent from watching on TV, but are really helpful. (Like what I said in the 1st paragraph.)





From what you said, you should be able to join an adult league/club team and start playing games this upcoming season. (Lots of rinks have 2 or 3 adult divisions, so you can play at your beginning level without having to waste time learning to skate and the rules of hockey.)





You will be able to get into the swing of things quickly.





I don't know you, so you should use your own judgment about what you want to do. These are some good things I found.





It might actually be easier for you to start now, when you are 18, than it may have been when you were, say...16. There are plenty of Adult Learn-to-play programs (at different levels), but not so many beginner things for teenage kids.





Welcome to the joy of playing hockey.





Have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment