Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What are some good off-ice exercises to do for the beginner adult hockey player?

I am 29 years old and learning to skate to eventually start to play hockey. In the meantime, I am going to the gym and trying to get into shape by increasing my endurance, flexibility, and strength. Are there any good exercises in all three of these areas that are especially helfpful for the adult beginner hockey player? My hope is to be in decent shape by the time I actually take to the ice for my first adult hockey league.|||Endurance training is great. Keep that up. Flexibility has been said to be irrelevant, but in the explosive sport of ice hockey, it is imperative. Stretch before and after skating. As far as resistance training is concerned, focus your attention on your lower body muscle groups and core exercises. Ofcourse, continue to lift upper body muscle regions in order to maintain equilibrium. Hockey is a single leg sport. The best ice hockey players in the world keep their feet moving continually. I will give you a list of resistance exercises to do, and a few examples of plyometric drills in order to increase quickness and explosiveness.





Resistance Weights:


1. Front Squat- eventually progress to the back squat


2. Clean and Pulls


3. Box Step-ups


4. Dead lifts


5. Low-Pulls


6. Push Press


7. Lunges


8. Russian Twists


9. Abdominal Crunches


10. Leg Raises





Plyometric Drills





1. Squat Jumps


2. Knees to Chest jumps


3. Lunge walks


4. Lateral Jumps from cone to cone at a distance of a few feet.


5. Lateral jumps over a hockey stick placed on the ground. go as fast as you can for 30, 45, 60 seconds.


6. Jump Rope





I have a ton of exercises. However, there is no substitute for ice skating. I suggest mastering skating first since you are new to the sport. These exercises will surely help you. Please do these safely. I assume no responsibility for injury or any personal hazard that coincides with exercise. Always warm-up before you exercise.|||Ya, the guy above me is right CARDIO is the best! It will make your ENDURANCE better, and your legs will be stronger. For flexibility i would recemend stretching everyday. Put your left leg over your right leg(while standing up) and bend down. Then switch put your right leg over your left leg.





I hope this helps!|||Cardio. Lots and lots of cardio.|||Leg press , tons of cardio , shoulders press , and tons of abs , dont forget to train your wrist|||I started playing ice hockey at the age of 60. Some of the guys and gals I played with were your age and we were all in the same boat when playing with the 18 to 25 year olds. In my opinion the best thing you can learn to do is fall down. You are going to spend lots of time upside down, but it is fun. Learn to use your stick. You can do it without actually being on the ice. Good luck and keep your head up!!!!!|||1st of all I think its cool that your 29 and wanting to learn hockey. I started when I was 5 but, I don't think learning the game has changed much in the last 25 years. The best advice I can give is by some roller blades. Some people tnk roller blading is harder then ice skating because you cant stop as fast. Also, keep that cardio going and if your local gym has a ski or crosstrainer machine (working the arms and legs same time) use that. Best of luck in learning and have fun!|||Soccer

1 comment: