Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What helpful tips can anyone give me about playing pond hockey in Wisconsin during the winter?

I have lived in California my whole life and played hockey since I was seven. One of my dreams is to play pond hockey somewhere and I figure my best shot is going next winter after I graduate college. Is the ice really that much more choppy? I've played on some pretty horrible ice out here. What clothing is most comfortable out there?|||Come to Green Bay and play on the rinks at the parks. They are great. They are a little choppy but you get young kids and old guys all playing together. Most guys wear jeans and jackets. It's great. It's not a pond but the city just floods the parks and it is free. -s|||Depends on temperature and wind chill factor and whether the pond is hot mopped or not.





I typically wear a hat that will cover the ears, sweatshirt and sweatpants, shin and elbow pads. The shins help block the wind as well as needed protection. Too many whacks and strange bounces.





If its really cold, I'll wear some shorts (off road cycling) underneath my sweatpants.





After the game, switch into dry clothes. I usually try to keep a thermos with something warm to help warm up.








Now I'm really looking forward to winter so I can get pond hockey going again!!!|||make sure the ice is solid before you step on it.|||Don't eat yellow snow!|||Make sure you wear a wet suit underneath your clothes in case you fall into the water when the ice breaks.|||For starters, you don't see many cat tails and bull rushes growing out of the ice at the arena. Think of them as built it goal posts or extra defensemen.


Secondly, another thing you won't see in a California arena, frostbite. So dress warm, and try not to trip over the pressure cracks.


Remember, you're doing it for the enjoyment of the experience, not the quality of the ice.|||Your Skates tend to need sharpening allot more as the sand and grit found in natural ice will dull your skates real fast.Buy cheaper skates for pond Hockey and Keep your good Skates for indoor Hockey. Go to a place like Plat it Again Sports that specialize in selling used equipment that will save you loads of money.GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!|||My advice to you is to drink heavily.|||Clear a section of the pond from sticks, marsh weeds, etc. before it freezes. Try to select a section among trees as they will break the cold winter wind.





Wear under-armour or thermal underwear, gloves and hat. Wearing too much clothing and/or coat will make you sweat too much and then you will get even colder!





Avoid going onto the ice until it is completely frozen or avoid going onto the ice on warmer days as this will make it choppier.





Keep on top of shovelling off the snow so that it will be less effort.





Build a fire off to the side of the pond to be able to warm up.





Take a warm drink (hot chocolate) and cold drink for hydration.

No comments:

Post a Comment