Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What hockey card brand is worth the most?

I am an avid hockey card collector and I am always wondering what cards to buy? I realise pro set and score are worthless. I know the main sets you can buy for modern day cards are opeechee and upper deck. So what is worth more? And What is the most valuable upper deck series?|||Since you're aware that those early '90s cards are junk, do what the rest of us who were getting into the hobby at the time and fell for it, but DIDN'T flee the hobby, never to come back, have done, and pursue the older cards. Wait until this year's hotter-than-the-sun-gotta-have-it-today comes back down to where it should be in a year or two, after the market has decided the winners and the losers. Even the more expensive winners will be cheaper than they are now.





I haven't bought a single new hockey card since 1995. But I've kept right on collecting. I have every Topps and OPC set from the last year that an unopened box is still worth any real money, 1988-89, all the way back to 1970-71, and that's not the really important part of my collection. I have rookie cards of Howie Morenz (1924-25), who was the Babe Ruth of hockey, and sadly, hardly anyone under the age of 25 knows who he was, plus Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull and Bobby Orr (including the 'test' rookie, the Holy Grail of post-WWII hockey cards). Plus several of the '50s Parkie sets and Topps sets. They weren't cheap when I started tracking them down in the mid-'90s, but they look cheap compared to what they go for today.





And to think I could have spent that money instead on every new thing that came out the last fifteen years. Oh, I'd have a few good things, a nice Crosby rookie and maybe a few of the better jersey/uniform/ autograph cards. But I'd have a ton of worthless crap along with them.





To paraphrase Horace Greeley's advice from way back when: Go vintage, young man.|||I would say upper deck, ovation card are pretty good too|||upper deck is good i like em

No comments:

Post a Comment